Monday, December 27, 2010

Another Day in a Yaad in Negril pt 3

December 7, 2010
4:00 pm

This morning while getting my fresh veggies, I teased my neighbor about how good she looked Sunday night, she looked at me and said 'you saw me and didn't say nuttin?" as I told her I was in and out of the house and she was moving around busily at her shop. I asked her if she was going to a church program, but she say "nah sah, I went up to the party at the beach park' great fun, masses of people, good music, live and selectors. When I told her that we go every now and then she looked at me as though I had two heads, smiled at me and said "you neva know" so we made a date that soon we would check it out together.

She owns the shop across from me and it is a lively place at times and others quiet quiet. Some days its the hangout for the ladies, others, she has a son who attracts lots of ladies and his buddies dominate the place. They held a 2 week domino tournament a few months ago that lasted long thru the night, Slap down, jive talk, much laughter and good times.

Now if you think Jamaican women dress for church, you haven't seen nothing till you see them dress for these neighborhood street parties, where there are men there will be women and visa versa. Preening like peacocks strutting their stuff, seeing and being seen. As for as the music you go with the flow, you can't beat them so you either join them in person, or just enjoy the music from your home. Sometimes you rock to the beat as you fall asleep and then wake up to the quiet, and wonder how did I sleep through those sounds. Now if you can't take this because it happens all over the hills, this is not the place for you. Sound travels and sometimes we are grooving from as far as 2 or 3 blocks away.

One thing I love about Jamaican parties, there are people of all ages, from Grandma and Dad, to the wee new born, to the sexy young women and guys, all dressed in their finest, having good clean fun. That's what I like about my neighborhood, Families, friends, music, animals, all doing what it takes to survive, while finding comfort also in having a good time.

I guess the point I want to make is that Negril is more than the Beach. I was told that the people who work in Negril don't live in Negril, and the people who live in Negril don't work. So not true, so inaccurate, so Out of Order.

And tonight I will follow Dr. Sprat and nurse Tic Toc's orders, I am going to enjoy my Queen. Queen IFrica.

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
Mark Twain

No comments:

Post a Comment