Thursday, December 16, 2010

SUNDAY IN A YAAD IN JAMAICA pt 2

Sunday 8/29/10

3PM

I write this as I sit still on my veranda the rain that began a little after breakfast is still going on my young neighbor and I are the only ones out in our yard, she in her hammock, on likkle foot out swinging and singing a melody, softly in patwa, I catch some of the words, others I don't but it doesn't matter, her beautiful voice, and the rain lulls me into a serenity a peacefulness and fulfilment that I could only find here. I don't have to understand her totally because music is universal, and one of the things that I realise is that music is one of the things that drew me to this place. I tell people I came for the music, but stayed for my Life.

Acclimated, a word I use a lot since moving here, acclimated to the weather, to the heat, acclimated to the culture, acclimated to the stares I get at times as I come and go, and then pleased when they realise its just the Rasta Lady from down the street and they smile as I speak and I feel somewhat welcome into the fold.

I've learned that in order to maintain respect, you have to give it, so I have as always tried to walk in a way that does not breed contempt not animosity from my people, my yard mates, my neighbors, that's important to me, because I LIVE here and have no intention soon of leaving. I PRAY THAT I WILL BE SUCCESSFUL IN ASSIMILATING MY SELF IN TO THIS CULTURE.

The sweet voice, the rain fuse together and takes me back to the days up in the Cockpit, a day when we all sat on that veranda and shared stories of our lives,there was rain and soft music and soft/loud voices of friendship, love, liking, and admiration. Surrounded by the Cock Pit Mountains and the beauty of what I have named the one of the Gardens of Eden. So majestic, so fine, so tall, so beautiful. They say in Jamaica  there are over 100 species of plants,500 species of fern,79 species of birds,16 species of amphibian,22 species of reptile,300 caves, now imagine sitting with people you have come to love, sharing your thoughts and dreams, a game of dominoes, and even the bites of mosquitoes, in between the rain showers. It is a beautiful place, made even more beautiful because of the love coming from the people I was surrounded by.

Today is not much different, I find that here I don't always have to voice, nor hear approval, don't always have to be moving about, most times I am just me, into me and the people, things, places, I chose to include in my space.

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
Mark Twain

No comments:

Post a Comment