Thursday, December 16, 2010

SUNDAY IN A YAAD IN JAMAICA pt 4

THE PAGENT BEGINS!!!!!!!!!

There is nothing like watching woman, but watching Jamaican Women on their way to church, that's where praises come in again. The beautiful garments, the pretty dresses, the heels, and (my goodness!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) stockings. But the hats, the hats, the hats, the Southern Belles, the women at the Kentucky Derby in long gone times, the African women in full garb, Jamaican women join this rank of women for out doing each other when it comes to that Sunday, hat. I feel that I am at a fashion show, so much beauty, so much flare, so much,wait!!!! this child must be on her way home from SCrubaDub, cause if she walks up in church dressed like that those sisters are going to whop her behind, wade her in the water and cleanse all her sins away. This day I truly became Grandmother because my this is the day I sounded like Mama and Grandma.

Ooooh baby you're too much for me. Women all sizes, some alone, some with children, mostly young children, not a lot of teen boys or girls. Girls no older that 12/14, There goes J she owns one of those like shops that carries scoops to nuts and back, that you see in the hills as you come over from MoBay, but it was nicer on the old road when you went up into the hills and were truly smack in the core of real Jamaican life, where the people who serve you during your time here live. The routes taxi guys red/white Juta/gypsy. The proper speaking guy/lady at the front desk of your hotel. If you bothered to get out and have a pepsi, ok a beer you would not believe that the sounds, the lyrical music coming from their mouth is an actual dialect. But now I know its a language that has been hard as ----for me to totally comprehend, but speaking it for me, is out of the question. And the funny thing for me has been learning that I,me??? have an accent. It was funny when the guys in New York informed me how country I was, when all this time, I thought I was pretty articulate.

Getting back to the ladies of my neighborhood it is a joy to behold. As the ladies passed before they would speak more so to my neighbor, until they released I was sitting there, with my sensitive self of course I thought I was being dismissed, but no, just an oversight. For some one who claims not to need, stuff matters to you a lot.I'm wrong a lot, but I am never incorrect. Yes contradictory but true.

I love that I have survived long enough that small things excite me, they make me happy, I take the time to watch a bird fly, the water as it comes to shore, Sunday on my veranda satisfies me, and just sitting at Negril Escapes and Roots Bamboo, at Rebel Salute, looking out to Sea, or up into the stars and moon as I listen to Luciano, Ritchie Spice, Tarrus Riley as they surround my heart with goodness.

Yep I'm blessed

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
Mark Twain


No comments:

Post a Comment